What to see in Kyoto

Kyoto. My favorite city in Japan.

There are so many things to see in Japan, and the city is full of old buildings, shopping places, and beautiful nature. Here are some pictures of my favorite places in Kyoto.

The view over Kyoto from Arashiyama.

In Kyoto I lived for thee weeks near Gion Shirakawa. It's a very beautiful area, where you can still see maikos and geishas. It's the old geisha street next to the river, and it is definetly a place, you must go. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to see a geisha at work :)


Pictures from Gion Shirakawa

Teramachi is my favorite place to shop in Kyoto. It is very close to Gion, and it has some great fashion shops, restaurants, supermarket, a temple, arcades, weird shops, music shops, and souvenier shops. While I stayed in Kyoto, I was there every day - that's how much I like it ;) In Japan the shops are open much longer than in Denmark, so I spent some nights shopping, while I was there...

Teramachi

One of the most famous and beautiful temples in Kyoto is Fushimi-Inari. It is the temple with the many red gates, which you can see in these pictures. It has a temple and sometimes they set up stalls where you can buy takoyaki, coned ice and other good stuff. There are many many gates that go all the way to the top of the mountain, that you can climb.


A few of the many toriis at the Fushimi-Inari shrine

Nishin Textile Museum is a museum in the middle of Kyoto, where you can see how the kimono industry worked in Japan in the older days. You can hear the story of the silkworm, buy souveniers, see very old kimonos and watch the kimono fashion show. Entrance is free, and even though the museum isn't that big, you should spend some time here.

Kimonos at Nishin Textile Museum

Nijô castle was the shogun's castle under the Tokugawa shogunate. Maybe you've heard about the nightingale floor, that says like a nightingale, when you step on it. This was made so that the shogun wouldn't be surprised (assassinated) without being noticed. The castle was very cool and they had the most beautiful Japanese garden.

Nijô castle with Emmi and Christina

The golden temple also called Kinkakuji has many visitors every day, and it is very easy to see why. It is truly beautiful and is a must see in Kyoto.
Don't mix the two temples Kinkakuji (the golden temple) and Ginkakuji (the silver temple), because they lie at two different places in Kyoto.

Kinkakuji

On the top of a mountain near Gion, you can find the huge Kiyomozu dera. This was also very very beautiful, but there's a long way to the top, so don't forget to bring your umbrella and water. On the way up/down you will find small shops (you can also find the Ghibli shop) :)

Kiyomizu dera

One of the coolest karaoke places are at Rainbow karaoke near Teramachi. I was there with some friends, and we got a party room just us four people. They have many songs, space, free ice cream and soda. Great place, that I'm coming back to!

Rainbow karaoke

The imperial palace in Kyoto is a huge palace with a huge garden in the heart of Kyoto, and I still wonder how there can be enough room for such a big palace and garden in the middle of Kyoto. Before going there you have to get a "visitor pass" from the office next to the palace, so don't forget bring your pass that day! They have a couple of tours in English every day, you you'll get a guided free tour if you come before 2 pm. Definitely a magnificent palace, that you must see.

The imperial palace

At Arashiyama monkey park you can walk up to the top of the mountain, where you will find monkeys. There you can feet them or enjoy the view over Kyoto. 

Arashiyama


The next time I'm going to Kyoto, there are so many attractions that I want to visit again and new ones that I want to visit for the first time.

Good luck in my favorite city of Japan! :)

0 comments:

Send en kommentar

 

Social media

Find me on social media by clicking the links in the top - Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, YouTube, Google+ ^^

Quote

If you can dream it, you can do it. - Walt Disney

About

Welcome to my blog about my life and my interest in Japanese culture. Here you'll find posts about what I do, my inspiration, fun facts, and other things. Enjoy!