New things to try in Japan this year

I'm super super excited about Japan this summer, and I've got a list of new things to try while staying there. The things I won't get to do this summer due to time, money ect., I will probably be able to do while doing my working holiday.

There's a lot of things that I already have seen in Japan like Hiroshima, shrines and temples in Kyoto, but I'm going to visit many of those places again this year just because they were so amazing! :) But here is a list of the most important things to do and see in Japan this summer.


Recently I've come across the Japanese store, and I can't believe I haven't seen this huge store in Japan yet! So I definitely have to go there :D Apparently the have both clothes, food, toys, accessories for the house ect. I'm certain that I'll get a yukata there to wear at the Tanabata matsuri and Gion matsuri, and they're only around 4000 Yen. Luckily there's a store close to our hostel in Tokyo so we'll probably go there a lot :P

Ghibli Studio museum
You probably know Miyazaki's movies about Chihiro, My neighbor Totoro, Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle ect., and in Tokyo there is a museum centered around the Ghibli movies. I really like the movies but they are a bit hard to understand, but I'm sure I'll enjoy this museum.

Mt. Fuji, the lakes around Fuji and Fuji-Q Highland
I don't know if I will have enough time to see Fuji this time, because it is a bit far from the center of Tokyo, but some day I would like to climb Fuji and see the beautiful lakes of Fuji. There are lots of videos on YouTube about people who climb Mt. Fuji, so take a look. It seems like it'll take around 9 hours to climb, so you have to plan a whole day after that.
A friend recently told me about the amusement park called Fuji-Q Highland and I definitely have to go there as well! Apparently it is a park with huge, crazy rides, and I do love crazy rides! It makes me really excited :D

Matsuri
Matsuri is the Japanese word for festival, and they celebrate many different festivals all year around in Japan. Some festivals are celebrate around the country, but others are only celebrated in certain cities. In July the Tanabata festival (mentioned above) will be held in Japan the 7th of July, and Gion Matsuri is held in Kyoto, Gion the 17th and 24th, while the Tenjin festival will be held in Osaka the 24th and 25th at Temmangu Shrine.

Maiko makeup experience
In Kyoto it is possible to be dressed as a maiko (apprentice geisha) and the the makeup done. At some places you can even get pictures afterwards with the clothes and makeup on.
I've wanted to try this for a long time, but didn't really know where to look last time. This year I'll definitely do it! :)

Omihachiman
This small city in Kansai is said to have a nostalgic atmosphere and still contain some of the old Japanese spirit. It's not one of the biggest wishes of mine, but I think it would be nice to go there if I had more time. You can find many many beautiful places in Japan, and this is probably another one of them.

Yasukuni shrine
The Shintoistic shrine made in Meiji is said to contain the spirits of the war dead, and the Japanese prime minister's visiti to the shrine has caused trouble in the East Asian relationship. I don't know why I didn't go here last time, but I will have to see for my self this year what it is all about.

Area around the Imperial Palace, Ginza, and Tsukiji fish market (Tokyo)
I haven't yet visited the imperial palace where the current Emperor lives, but I've heard about the beautiful garden and I think it will be amazing to see the palace. It's amazing that the emperor lives there.
If you want to shop, you should try visiting Ginza near Tokyo station, because it is said to have many many shops. Not so far from Ginza, one of the biggest fish markets in the world is placed, and if you want to see this place you'll have to wake up really early to be taken on a tour. In summer we'll probably have to order tickets, so hope we'll be able to get in.

Universal Studios, Osaka
Since I love amusement parks I will also be visiting Universal Studios some day. They will open a new attraction Harry Potter attraction this year, and they have Shrek, Back to the Future and much more. But since it is a little more expensive than Disney Sea, I will have to say Universal Studios will have to wait. My friends recommended it, so if you're in Osaka, you should try this park.

Tokyo museum
Japanese culture and history is very fascinating to me, so this year I hope that I can drag some of my friends along to a museum. I really want to see old things like woodblock prints, figures, paintings ect. There is for example Tokyo's National Museum near Ueno.

Sumo
I'm not sure if I'll be able to get tickets to the national tournaments of sumo in Tokyo, but if it's possible and not too expensive, I want to go see a sumo match. I'm not particularly interested in sumo but I still think that it will be a big experience.

Miyajima
There might not be a lot of people who know Miyajima, but the small island close to Hiroshima is said to be very beautiful and peaceful. It sounds a bit complicated to go there, which is why I didn't go there last year and you'll have to take the ferry to the island. BUT someday I go there to see the island :)

Himeji
In Kansai there's a beautiful and very famous castle. Unfortunately it was being restorated when I went to Japan last year, so it wasn't possible to see all of it anyway, and it seems like they will be building until next year. It is supposed to be amazing, but I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer if I want to see it fully. 

2013: Me and Mari in Akihabara

These things are pretty much the most important things that I want to see. I'm pretty sure I can't go see all of the things this year, but they are on my MUST SEE-list of Japan :)

 

Social media

Find me on social media by clicking the links in the top - Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, YouTube, Google+ ^^

Quote

If you can dream it, you can do it. - Walt Disney

About

Welcome to my blog about my life and my interest in Japanese culture. Here you'll find posts about what I do, my inspiration, fun facts, and other things. Enjoy!